Eating Disorders of York Region (EDOYR) is a regisitered non-profit organization incorporated in 2004 by families who recognized the need for support for individuals striving to overcome an eating disorder, and for their family and friends.
What is an Eating Disorder?
- Very broadly, eating disorders are eating patterns that negatively affects someones health which many include their physical, emotional and mental well being
- This includes anorexia, bulimia and binge eating, and disordered eating
- Eating disorders may be unhealthy coping strategies to life circumstances
- Unrealistic media images can trigger and contribute to the manifestation of eating disorders
How EDOYR Offers a Hand?
- Offers free group support programs facilitated by qualified psychotherapists specializing in eating disorders.
- Provides Open House presentations twice per month on topics of wellness.
- Provides a Resource Centre with information for those interested in learning more about eating disorders and the resources that are available in the community.
• Resources – the EDOYR web site has links to resources and information on:
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Bulimia Nervosa
- Binge Eating Disorder
- The National Eating Disorder Information Centre (NEDIC) - a Canadian agency providing information and resources on eating disorders and weight preoccupation. Their goal is to promote healthy lifestyles that allow people to be fully engaged in their lives.
- Facilitated by qualified professionals
- No cost
- No referral needed
- If interested in participating please call (905) 886-6632 or email [email protected]
- February 3 event – Eating Disorders: Fact or Fiction? at Indigo in Richmond Hill
- "Emotion In Motion" presentations providing awareness and education for elementary and high schools in York Region
How you can Offer a Hand?
- Monetary donations – tax receipts are available for all donations
- Becoming a member - see the membership form
> On a committee:
* Out Reach
* Wings of Hope
> Become a Board Member
- Participating in the annual Wings of Hope Gala by attending with family and friends for a fun evening of great entertainment; donating to the Silent Auction
............ To register for a program or for more information please email Janice at [email protected]
Who has Offered a Hand?
- Funded by Ontario Trillium Foundation
- Funded by the Regional Municipality of York through the New Agency Development Fund, (NADF)
- Steppin’ Out Productions has supported EDOYR for three years with professional entertainment for the Wings of Hope Gala
- Corporate sponsors: Maritime-Ontario Freight Lines Limited, Winners, TD Canada Trust, RBC, Beaver Valley Stone, Greenpark Homes
Location: Community Support Centre
10155 Yonge Street